The mission of Laramie County Community College is to transform our students' lives through the power of inspired learning. Our over-arching goal is that our accomplishments as a community college will distinguish LCCC from others in the nation, in turn benefiting our communities and bringing pride to the Great State of Wyoming. Our core values include Passion, Authenticity, and the Desire to Make a Difference.
This is a part-time, temporary position.
Core responsibilities of this position include: Provide support to GEAR UP students by planning and implementing programming to promote success during junior high. The position also includes data entry, organization/maintenance of student files, and parent engagement. This position is grant-funded.
Compensation: $12.12/hr. Commensurate with experience and education.
Screening Date: Position open until filled. For full consideration apply by July 21st, 2017.
Start Date: As soon after screening as practical.
- Provide student services in adherence to GEAR UP junior high guidelines, including meeting individually with students for support and academic coaching, as well as planning events to help foster transitions, and academic success
- Make referrals to other supportive services as necessary
- Develop and Organize group activities
Data Entry and Maintenance:
- Coordinate with students to complete grant paperwork for files and records
- Create and maintain student files
- Coordinate with other GEAR UP staff for activity planning
- Maintain GEAR UP internal data: Document individual/group meetings attendance for Youth Services database
Trainings and Office Support:
- Attend GEAR UP events, trainings, and field trips as required of the position.
- Coordinate tutoring and other student needs with school liaisons, teachers, parents and GEAR UP staff
- Adhere to GEAR UP grant and school district policy and procedures
An employee in this position may perform some of these responsibilities on an infrequent basis.
- Assist Coordinators with supervising youth
- Monitor and correct behavior during events and activities, discipline per GEAR UP guidelines as needed
- Attend state and national conferences as related to the duties of this position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The ability to relate to students, parents, and school employees
- An understanding of the skills necessary for educational success
- Organizational and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm, patience, persistence, and adaptability
- Proactive and assertive with ability to use positive motivation; a ‘self-starter’
- Ability to facilitate small group discussion and learning
- Strong verbal interpersonal communication skills in order to effectively work with a diverse group of participants and staff
- Highly organized, attentive to detail, ability to multi-task
- Proficient use of computers and software including skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Access) and basic desktop publishing
- Team player who is professional, responsible, college-focused, and flexible
- Awareness and sensitivity to legalities of working with FERPA rules
- An employee performing the essential duties of this position may encounter strong opinions and strong emotions from the population which they serve and will need to respond in a professional and diplomatic manner in such situations
- An employee will need to maintain appropriate confidentiality in regards to student information and participation
- While performing the essential duties of this position, an employee would frequently be required to move around the assigned work space as well as within hallways, meeting rooms, and other areas
- An employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- The overall work environment requires the mental ability to shift focal point quickly due to interruptions; an employee must be able to mentally track multiple tasks and perform varying levels of academic functions while maintaining awareness of student activities going on during tutoring sessions
- The noise level in the work environment would vary based on physical placement of tutoring, time tutoring takes place with respect to class times, and the number of students present
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Associate’s Degree
- Previous experience working with students
LCCC DOES NOT SPONSOR H1B VISAS.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Laramie County Community College is committed to providing a safe and nondiscriminatory educational and employment environment. The college does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or other status protected by law. Sexual harassment, including sexual violence, is a form of sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. The college does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational, extracurricular, athletic or other programs or in the context of employment.
The College has a designated person to monitor compliance and to answer any questions regarding the college’s non-discrimination policies: Please contact: Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Room 205B, Pathfinder Building, 1400 E College Drive, Cheyenne, WY 82007, 307-778-1217,TitleIX_ADA.Coordinator@lccc.wy.edu.