Oportun was founded in 2005. Its mission: To provide affordable loans that help people with little or no credit history establish credit and build a better future. Oportun uses advanced data analytics and technology to “score” and lend money to individuals with limited credit history that other lenders consider “unscorable.” Oportun operates more than 230 retail locations and delivers bilingual (English/Spanish) customer service via retail locations, contact centers, and mobile to customers in Arizona, California, Illinois, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, and Utah.
In recognition of Oportun’s goals of increasing economic opportunity for our clients, promoting community development, and serving low-income or underserved communities, Oportun was certified by the United States Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution or CDFI.
At Oportun, everything we do reflects our corporate values of Service, Care, Innovation, Courage, Excellence, and Empowerment.
Oportun is a great place to work if you are as enthusiastic about helping others as you are about your own professional development and career. As our CEO Raul Vazquez says, “Earning a paycheck to support yourself and your family is critical. Satisfying career ambitions is rewarding. But there is no greater privilege than having a challenging job where you are growing and learning professionally, while having a strong positive impact on the lives of others… And that is what we do here every day.”
If you are looking for a dynamic career with significant earning potential, but also want to make an impact on your community, join our team.
Our Customer Service Representative creates and generates a rewarding and unique customer service experience. At Oportun, Customer Service Representatives are passionate about listening, helping, and connecting with people while providing excellent service to meet sales goals. As a key member of our team, you will make the mission of Oportun come to life by educating our customers about our responsible affordable loans and the benefits of establishing credit through our loans. You are goal oriented and results driven while always exhibiting the Oportun brand.
How to be Successful?
- Deliver first-class customer service while accurately processing loan applications with all the proper documentation in order to limit the number of non-approved applications and improving loan turn-around time
- Develop and maintain great customer relationships with service excellence in mind, while promoting the Oportun brand to create return customers
- Demonstrate Internal and external Sales skills through customer Education, promotion and conversion
- Meet personal and team production goals by obtaining referrals and selling new and returning customers on the value and benefits of products and alternatives to close sales
- Able to quickly and accurately learn our products, services and procedures and meet policy and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for cash handling, taking cash payments and balancing a cash drawer
- Comply with all regulatory and audit requirements
- Enjoy community involvement. Increase outreach and awareness by building partnerships and continuous distribution of flyers at local businesses, nonprofit organizations, churches, schools, and community events
- Work positively as a team with the company mission to serve our customers as the most important consideration
- Be a role model by living the Oportun’s Core Values: Service, Care, Innovation, Courage, Excellence, and Empowerment
What Key Requirements are Needed?
- Bilingual English/Spanish (Required)
- 2+ years of experience working in financial services customer service/sales is preferred but not required
- Customer-oriented: Approachable and proactive in meeting and exceeding customer needs and providing excellent service
- Results-oriented: Use appropriate sales strategies to achieve and/or exceed sales goals
- Strong communication and listening skills with a high degree of professionalism and ability to interact effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds in-person and over the phone
- Utilize good decision making to take initiative to resolve Oportun’s customer concerns and ensure a positive customer experience outcome
- Have a positive attitude
- Must be a team player and work well with others
- Detail oriented and accurate
- Basic computer proficiency and systems knowledge
- Need to be flexible and adaptable for team, customer and scheduling (Stores are open 7 days a week typically between 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
- High School diploma or equivalent
As a valuable member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Competitive pay with sales incentives
- Employer-matched 401(k)
- Opportunities to positively affect your community
- Paid Training