We are currently seeking a motivated, career and customer oriented Business Analyst to join our team in Arlington, VA to begin an exciting and challenging career with Unisys Federal Systems.
In this role you will design or modify business processes and the corresponding information technology solutions. Perform analysis of business and user needs, documenting requirements, researching gaps and providing process and/or development solutions. Act as liaison between the business users and IT. Make recommendations to address specific business needs for information technology based solutions. Collaborate with multiple cross-functional areas externally and internally in the implementation of system and business processes. Define system scope and objectives as well as the content of required documentation. Evaluate new software products to determine their applicability to current and future IT environments. Manage vendor relationships including issue notifications and follow-up until resolution. Evaluate new applications and identify systems requirements. Evaluate new IT developments and evolving business requirements and recommends appropriate systems alternatives and/or enhancements to current systems. Prepare communications and makes presentations on system enhancements and/or alternatives. Develop professional expertise, applies company policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues. Apply theories, concepts, principles, and methodologies to difficult but conventional assignments. Work independently within an established framework. Provide problem resolution that may be non-standard within defined practices and procedures. Work on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors. Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Build productive internal/external working relationships. Receive general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new projects or assignments. Have working knowledge and experience in own discipline. Continue to build knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Perform a range of mainly straightforward assignments. Use prescribed guidelines or policies to analyze and resolve problems. Receive a moderate level of guidance and direction.
Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Formulates and defines systems scope and objectives based on both user needs and a thorough understanding of business systems and industry requirements.
- Devises or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operation time, and form of desired results. Includes analysis of business and user needs, documentation of requirements, and translation into proper system requirements specifications.
- Provides consultation on complex projects and is considered to be the top level contributor/specialist of most phases of systems analysis, while considering the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment.
- Participate in joint application design sessions to collect new business requirements.
- Identify and develop use cases based on client requirements.
- Verify requirements through analysis, test, demonstration and inspection.
- Analyze business processes/systems, identify inefficiencies and required controls, document procedures, and track KPI’s.
- Collaborate with internal and external users/customers to elicit business concerns and develop workable solutions.
- Participate in planning initiatives, feasibility studies, cost/benefit analysis, and new systems design.
- Work with the QA team to prepare test scenarios and data.
- Document and manage business and functional requirements.
- Review user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Provide thought leadership in one of the functional areas, handle queries and competency building in respective functional area.
- Provide functional solution and clarification on the inter-module dependencies.
- Determine a project’s requirements by extracting them from business or government policies, as well as from current and future users, through interaction and research.
- Anticipate future requirements to ensure successful outcomes.
- Constrain requirements when necessary and focus on core business needs, rather than users’ personal preferences, functions related to trends or outdated processes, or other non-essential modifications.
- Organize requirements into related categories to effectively manage and communicate them.
- Use powerful analysis and modeling tools to match strategic business objectives with practical technical solutions.
- At regular intervals in the project life cycle, safeguard and protect the business and user’s needs by verifying functionality, accuracy and completeness of the requirements against the original documents. Safeguarding minimizes risk by ensuring requirements are being met before investing further in system development.
- Emphasize simplicity and ease of use at all times, especially in implementatio.
- Identify and avoid extraneous activities that do not solve the problem or help reach the objective.
- The business analyst is most knowledgeable about use cases; therefore, they continually verify the requirements and reject implementations that do not advance business objectives.
- In application maintenance the focus is on preventing and correcting defects; enhancements, or making changes to increase the value provided by the system.
- Thorough knowledge of the area of specialization
- Experience in creating UML diagrams
- working knowledge with MS Visio, Rational Software Architect, Enterprise Architect (Sparx) or an equivalent tool
- Analytical and investigation skills
- Elicitation and comprehension skills
- Good command over spoken and written communication
- Organizational and presentation skills
- Experience with developing and managing data models with data modeling tools.
- Experience creating and updating data dictionaries
- Experience with requirements tools and tracking (e.g. JIRA)
- Experience facilitating Joint Application Development (JAD) requirements workshops
- Experience developing user stories, including facilitation, prioritization, and negotiation with business sponsors, stakeholders, project sponsors, product owners, and development teams
- Experience creating and maintaining requirements documentation, including business process flows, functional specifications, use cases, test plans, and supplementary specifications
- Experience leading User Acceptance Testing (UAT), including successful outcomes of achieving completed user stories and associated test criteria
- Technical proficiency with SQL including the ability to create queries to validate data integrity and other data constraints
- Experience with all aspects of configuration management planning including configuration identification, change control, configuration status accounting, configuration audits, configuration documentation
- Working knowledge of data and process modelling
- Grip over database concepts like DBMS, ETL and SQL
- Interpersonal and managerial skills
- Ability to run Sprint Planning, Sprint Demo and/or Sprint Retrospective is a plus
- Ability to understand the bigger picture
U.S. CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of relevant work experience.
Do you have what it takes to be mission critical?
Your skills and experience could be mission critical for our Unisys team supporting the Federal Government in their mission to protect and defend our nation, and transform the way government agencies manage information and improve responsiveness to their customers. As a member of our diverse team, you’ll gain valuable career-enhancing experience as we support the design, development, testing, implementation, training, and maintenance of our federal government’s critical systems.
Apply today to become mission critical and help our nation meet the growing need for IT security, improved infrastructure, big data, and advanced analytics.
Unisys is a global information technology company that solves complex IT challenges at the intersection of modern and mission critical. We work with many of the world's largest companies and government organizations to secure and keep their mission-critical operations running at peak performance; streamline and transform their data centers; enhance support to their end users and constituents; and modernize their enterprise applications. We do this while protecting and building on their legacy IT investments. Our offerings include outsourcing and managed services, systems integration and consulting services, high-end server technology, cybersecurity and cloud management software, and maintenance and support services. Unisys has more than 23,000 employees serving clients around the world.
Unisys offers a very competitive benefits package including health insurance coverage from first day of employment, a 401k with an immediately vested company match, vacation and educational benefits. To learn more about Unisys visit us at www.Unisys.com.
Unisys is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) - Minorities, Females, Disabled Persons, and Veterans.